I updated the BIOS on an ASUS motherboard that was having network problems.
When I tried rebooting the computer, I kept getting blue screen errors (7B).
I found that I couldn’t revert back to the original BIOS version, which was extremely frustrating.
I resolved the problem by going into the BIOS.
Advanced Mode -> Advanced – > Sata Mode Selection
I changed it from AHCI to IDE and voila! the computer started again.
Randomly it was working, then it wasn’t.
It didn’t matter whether I had Ubuntu installed natively, or in virtualbox, I kept getting “The system is running in low-graphics mode”.
What worked for me was:
This worked! Running in VirtualBox on Mac. Did: sudo apt-get install fglrx; sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates -y; sudo apt-get update; Also reinstalled ubuntu-desktop before this, not sure if that had an effect – PigChicken May 2 at 10:29
sudo apt-get install fglrx
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates -y
sudo apt-get update
So in my last post, there was an assumption that we had some kind of active X session.
If you don’t, try sudo x11vnc –display :0 –auth /var/lib/lightdm/.Xauthority -create
Scenario – you have a Ubuntu server with a LightDM login.
You cannot use VNC until someone has physically logged into the desktop through LightDM.
But what if you have SSH access?
Easy! This man http://babilonline.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/ubuntu-1204how-to-use-vnc-even-at-login.html has the solution.
Run sudo x11vnc –display :0 –auth /var/lib/lightdm/.Xauthority from the SSH session, and then connect normally! Yay!
Back in the old days software like this would be installed from A:
Developers back then assumed in would continue that way – so now when you copy it to C: or any other drive for that matter, the SETUP.EXE file cannot find the file.
To resolve this you either need to use a floppy drive, or create a floppy image with something like MagicISO and mount it.
When you put an updated version of your application up onto iTunes connect, you’ll probably find that Xcode will start telling you that your bundle version needs to be greater than the version number you’ve specified on iTunes connect.
You’ve already set it up in the info.plist file, but for some reason it persists.
You’ll need to archive the new version of your app – the same way you did it when you first put your app on the app store.
To get the archive button to appear, you need to set the Scheme to “iOS Device”, not the simulator. You’ll find that Product > Archive becomes available.
I updated XCode to 4.5, OSX to 10.7.5, and my simulator to iOS6.
I’m furiously writing an app, and I was apprehensive about compatibility with the new versions.
At any rate, this proved less of a problem than expected.
But where the fuck did the ~/Library/Developer folder go? You know. Where you can explore the file system of your iOS simuation.
Let me tell you.
~/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/
“Wrong!” you scream. No you are.
We need to unhide the folder. Fire up terminal and type:
$chflags nohidden /Users/<username>/Library/
Mind boggling, mind numbing, but that’s where it has gone…
A really good plugin for jQuery that allows 3D rotatable views is jQuery Reel by Petr Vostřel
I had some problems with Google Chrome not wanting to allow me to rotate the image.
Google Chrome, I know!
It is really important that the image size is set in the tags. This is what fixed it for me.
Some code to help. “View Original” to make it layout properly…
I’ve just finished writing a program launcher and updater which wasn’t as difficult as I expected.
Now I’m up to the error logging part, which I thought would be easy. I think a lot of things; often is the case where I am wrong. This is no exception.
My basic plan was:
1. Exception thrown
2. Memory dump of program state
3. At Program shutdown, user can choose to send memory dump
In that design, I would be able to take the memory dump and run it as managed code.
It would be wonderful! Every error would be like I’d created it myself.
Creating the dump was easy.
Trying to get it to work alongside my source code is the definition of a nightmare.
You might chuckle, perhaps even mutter something about symbols.
WELL THAT WASN’T THE PROBLEM, OKAY!
Anyhow, I sort’ve gave in. And by sort’ve I mean I did.
My solution was this:
1. Exception thrown
2. Error class called (class name, variable names, values)
3. Screenshot taken, error logged as XML
Given this is going into a test environment, the data collected from the screen shot isn’t some kind of shady data gathering.
Here it is.
As an after thought – you will need to set-up the directory’s “error” and “errorimg”.
To get the XML working, just comment out the reading lines so that on the first run it just creates the new file.
I was having some problems with my Coleman Hot Water on Demand, which I have now resolved.
In the process of trying to fix it, I was searching for the manual online. Couldn’t find it. Unbelievable.
I’m sure Coleman will move into the 21st century soon.
Anyhow, I found the manual (which wouldn’t have helped me fix my problem anyhow).
As my gift to the interwebs, I’ve made a crappy scan without a watermark and shared it with you.
Coleman Hot Water on Demand Manual